Revolutionizing the Metal Casting Industry using Smart Dies
The metal casting industry has long been a cornerstone of the manufacturing world. Responsible for creating intricate and durable parts for a multitude of applications, the casting process is both an art and a science. Historically reliant on manual labor and observation, the industry is witnessing a game-changing transformation with the integration of smart technologies. These innovations promise to elevate both the precision and efficiency of casting to unprecedented heights. This method involves creating metal castings by injecting molten metal into molds called dies. These dies are ingeniously designed to carve out intricate features of a product, transforming the liquid metal into solid form. The intricate process, however, isn’t devoid of its challenges. From ensuring quality to monitoring various parameters for optimum output, the die casting process demands meticulous attention. Enter the concept of “Smart Dies” – a solution that has the potential to revolutionize the casting industry.
The Challenges Faced in Metal Casting
In the realm of Metal Casting, the close monitoring of process parameters during production is paramount for controlling overall Cast-Part quality. Deviations from the suggested parameters can lead to several negative consequences:
- Rejection of Castings: Not adhering to the right parameters could result in castings that do not meet the requisite standards, leading to wastage and increased costs.
- Unscheduled Maintenance: Deviations can cause unexpected wear and tear, necessitating unplanned maintenance of the die.
- Premature Failure: In the worst-case scenario, straying from the parameters can cause premature failure of crucial components, such as the forming inserts or other parts of the die.
For optimum production quality, extended die uptime, and a longer die lifespan, there is an essential need for vigilant monitoring of these recommended parameters. While machine parameters can be closely tracked using the machinery itself, monitoring die parameters consistently remains a significant challenge. This lacuna emphasizes the critical need for an innovative solution.
The Smart Connected Dies
Recognizing the complexities and challenges of the casting industry, Tvarit partners with Godrej Tooling, who has multiple decades of experience in designing more than 2000 dies with a capacity of designing 250 dies annually. The data from Godrej Tooling Smart Dies is an important element in Tvarit’s Pre-trained Scrap Reduction AI models for Metal Casting industry. Our holistic Artificial Intelligence modelling is able to predict any anomaly in the Casting Operations or in the Die/Machine Maintenance, and accordingly is able to Prescribe the right Casting Process Parameters settings to stabilize the process, envisioning Zero Defect / Zero Waste production.
Key Features of the Smart Die Casting System:
- Precision Temperature Monitoring: The temperature sensors are strategically placed at several locations of the die by the team of Design and Tooling experts. This ensures the casting process remains within optimal temperature ranges, thereby enhancing the quality of the final product.
- Cooling Channel Monitoring: The flow in the cooling channels of the die is monitored using the flow meters, this ensures the thermal regulation of the die for optimal casting.
- Metrics Generation: The system is also adept at generating valuable metrics such as shot count, shot summary, and machine cycle time. These metrics provide insights into the operational efficiency and performance of the casting process.
- Cloud Connectivity and Programmability: One of the standout features of the Smart Die Control System is its adaptability. Whether based on cloud computing or being programmable, it offers flexibility for diverse casting operations and environments.
Benefits of the Smart Casting System:
- Extended Die Life: The solution significantly improves the life of a die casting die, measured by the number of acceptable castings produced from a single die.
- Consistent Quality: By keeping a constant check on parameters, the system ensures a reduction in the rejection percentage, leading to consistently good quality aluminum casting.
- Real-time Alerts: If any of the measured parameters deviate from predefined values, the Control System immediately sends out alerts. These alerts can manifest as notifications on user interfaces, lights, buzzers, or display screens, ensuring immediate action can be taken to correct the deviation.
- Eliminating Manual Logs: The system addresses the age-old problem of maintaining labor-intensive manual logs.
- Easy Data Access: The operating data of the die is stored, ensuring easy traceability of casting through various parameters like die number, product batch, and even linking it to specific operating conditions at any given date & time.
- Aiding Product Design: The collected data can offer insights into die surface performance and thermal conditions, which can be instrumental in enhancing product design for casting.
The infusion of smart technologies into the casting industry is more than just a step towards modernization. It represents a complete overhaul of traditional methods, introducing a level of precision, reliability, and safety that was previously unattainable. Smart Dies represent a significant stride in this direction. As these systems become more integrated and commonplace, the casting industry is set to redefine its standards, promising a brighter, more efficient future for all stakeholders. The wave of the future is smart, and the casting industry is riding its crest!